- Vitaly Mutko has stepped down following crisis meeting on Boxing Day
- He was banned for life by International Olympic Committee earlier this year
- Mutko was punished for role in state-run doping at 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
- Russian has stepped aside from World Cup duties to fight IOC lifetime ban
Vitaly Mutko has stepped down from his position as head of the organising committee for next year’s World Cup.
The Russian deputy Prime Minister was given a lifetime ban by the IOC for his role in the state-run doping scandal at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
He has withdrawn from his position as World Cup chief in order to fight that ban.
Vitaly Mutko stepped down from his role as head of the 2018 World Cup organising committee
Mutko remains defiant and plans to fight his case in the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, which he plans to file on Tuesday.
‘During the course of the court proceedings, I am temporarily suspending my role as president of the RFS — for a period of up to 6 months,’ he said.
Mutko also informed Russian news agencies on Wednesday that he would be replaced by another World Cup organizer, Alexei Sorokin.
Mutko’s announcement comes two days after he said he would temporarily step down as president of the Russian Football Association in an apparent move to deflect international criticism as Russia prepares to host the World Cup next year.
The deputy Russian Prime Minister has been banned for life by the IOC but is set to appeal
Investigations by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee alleged that Mutko, who served as Russia’s sports minister during the Games, was involved in a state-sponsored doping program during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. He has strongly denied all doping allegations.
The IOC didn’t accuse Mutko of being personally involved in doping, but banned him from the Olympics for life, saying he and his ministry bore overall responsibility for ‘failure to respect’ anti-doping rules.
Author: Nancy Parker
Nancy Parker is a five time Emmy Award winning journalist and seven time Emmy nominee who has spent almost twenty five years covering news in South Louisiana. She has anchored every prime time newscast at WVUE FOX8 during her twenty year tenure in New Orleans.